- 1. Carriage of passengers
Carriage of passengers and their luggage is subject to the respective standard conditions of carriage of Bus Éireann - Irish Bus, Broadstone, Dublin 7, National Express Ltd., 4 Vicarage Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 3ES, Eurolines (UK) Ltd., AW House, 6-8 Stuart Street, Luton, Bedfordshire, LU1 25J, Stena Line, Charter House, Park St., Ashford, Kent TN24 8EX and Irish Ferries, PO Box 19, Alexandra Road, Ferryport, Dublin 1 which are available for inspection on application to these offices.
- Passengers should note that the conditions of carriage on the ship portion of the journey specifically incorporate the provisions of the Athens Convention of 1974. See important notice at Ferry Terminal before boarding vessel.
- In the event of demand for the services being greater than that which can be accommodated on one coach, or otherwise - for operational reasons, it may be necessary for passengers to change vehicles at the port, or at intermediate or interchange points en route.
- 2. Child/Infant Fares
Child fares as shown in the fare tables are applicable to those between 2 years and 12 years of age. Infant fares as shown in the fare tables are applicable to those under 2 years.
- Persons under 16 years are not permitted to travel on any service unless accompanied by an adult over 18 years of age. Persons between the ages of 16 and 18 years travelling alone must be in possession of a letter of authority from a parent or guardian.
- 3. Economy/Promotional Fares
Economy ticket issued at promotional fare valid for single or return travel. Ticket must be booked 7 days or more before date of travel and is subject to availability. Return ticket is not valid for 2 journeys in the same direction. Dates for outward and/or inward travel must be specified at time of booking. Outward and/or inward travel must occur within 6 months. No amendments and no refunds on these tickets.
- Euro Apex ticket issued at promotional return fare valid for one outward and one inward journey only. Ticket must be booked 15 days or more before date of outward travel and is subject to availability. Not valid for 2 journeys in the same direction. Dates for both outward and inward travel must be specified at time of booking. Outward and inward travel must occur within one month. No amendments and no refunds on these tickets.
- 4. Luggage
Each adult passenger is allowed a maximum of two medium sized suitcases or bags free of charge – each item not exceeding 80 x 70 x 20 cm in size and 15 kg in weight. In addition one small item of hand luggage, capable of fitting in an overhead luggage rack or under a seat is permitted. It is the responsibility of each passenger to present personally their luggage for customs and/or security examination when required.
- All luggage must be labelled and is carried at owner’s risk. Medication, money, travel/identity documents and other valuable items must not be carried in luggage but should be carried on the person at all times. Hand luggage must not be left unaccompanied in the coach during the ferry crossing or at refreshment stops. Additional luggage including bulky or heavy items will not be carried due to weight and space restrictions.
- The company is not obliged to carry any of the following items of luggage and passengers may not bring them onto any coach - any weapons, drugs or solvents (other than medicines), live or dead animals, fish or insects, battery powered wheelchairs, prams, non-folding pushchairs, bicycles, skis and surfboards.
- The company does not accept liability for loss or damage to the passenger’s luggage or to any possessions of the passenger (however caused), unless such loss or damage is proven to have been caused by the negligence, breach of duty or breach of statutory duty of the company. In the event of the company being proven liable for loss or damage under this clause the liability shall be limited to a maximum of €254 per passenger.
- 5. Travel Insurance
Passengers are recommended to take out Travel Insurance which is available at most travel agents.
- 6. Tickets
All passengers travelling on the coach must have a valid ticket. A ticket is non-transferable and may only be used by the person(s) named on it. The ticket must show customer’s full name, otherwise it will not be valid for travel.
- Ordinary Return tickets have a maximum validity of 6 months. Promotional tickets are subject to the conditions specified in the promotion. Return tickets are valid for outward and return travel on the dates shown on the ticket.
- Tickets must be retained for inspection, and must be produced for inspection on request by any authorised official of Bus Éireann, National Express, Eurolines or any other authorised agency. Tickets must also be surrendered if and when requested by any authorised official of Bus Éireann, National Express, Eurolines or any other authorised agency.
- All tickets are valid for travel as indicated by the fare paid and/or details printed on the tickets at time of issue. Passengers are obliged to ensure that these details are correct in respect of the journey intended.
- Tickets may be altered subject to accommodation being available. An amendment fee of €10.00 per leg of journey will be charged for this facility. Note: No amendments permitted on Economy or promotional tickets. Tickets may not be altered after the departure of the service on which passengers are booked. If the published fare payable for the ticket as amended would be more than the fare already paid for that ticket, then an additional fare will be payable for the difference, but the fare already paid by the passenger will not be refunded except in accordance with any refunds expressly allowed under these general Conditions of Carriage.
- Open dated return tickets are also subject to an administration fee of €10.00 at the time of confirming the return journey. Return bookings should be made as far in advance as possible as space cannot be guaranteed until a reservation is made and is subject to availability.
- The company will not replace lost, mislaid or stolen tickets. Passengers will be required to purchase a new standard fare ticket to enable them to travel.
- If a ticket is spoiled or tampered with, it will be invalidated and if a passenger travels with it, s/he will be considered to have travelled without a ticket.
- If a passenger’s ticket is spoiled or tampered with before travel, then the company may at its absolute discretion replace that ticket if passenger asks for a replacement a reasonable time before scheduled to travel and provides the company with proof of his/her purchase, his/her identity and an acceptable explanation as to why his/her ticket was spoiled or tampered with. The company may refuse to replace a ticket at its discretion and will charge €10.00 fee for replacing a ticket.
- 7. Refunds
Where travel is cancelled over 48 hours before time of travel a refund will be made subject to an administration fee of 20% of the value of the unused ticket. Cancellations less than 48 hours before time of travel will be subject to an administration fee of 50% of the value of the unused ticket. Refund applications may take up to 2 weeks to process. No refunds for ‘no show’ or for lost, stolen or mislaid tickets.
- Certain ticket categories have special conditions which do not permit changes to or cancellations of reservations.
- No refunds will be made on partially used tickets under any circumstances.
- 8. Failure of Ferry Service to Operate
Passengers should note that in the event of a disruption to Ferry Services, for any reason whatsoever, Bus Éireann/National Express/Eurolines will not be liable for alternative travel arrangements, accommodation and/or other costs incurred by passengers. However, every effort will be made to facilitate passengers on the earliest available departure after such disruptions.
- 9. Special Notice
Passengers should note that due to security procedures and customs regulations passengers will be required to disembark from the coach at Ferry Port, coach stations or other locations to have their luggage checked and to present suitable identity documents for verification. All passengers shall be deemed to be fully acquainted with customs, police, security, censorship and immigration requirements applicable to international travel. In the event of passengers being unable to satisfy the requirements of the relevant authorities before the departure time shown in the published timetables, services will not be delayed. The company shall not be liable for any loss, damage or expense arising as a result of such delays or inability to complete a journey. Any inconvenience caused by these restrictions is regretted.
- 10. General Terms
Passengers are not permitted to:
- smoke in or on any part of a vehicle operated by the company
- bring on to the company’s vehicles or have in their possession when on them, intoxicating liquor for the purpose of consuming the same
- consume intoxicating liquor on the company’s vehicles
- enter or remain upon the company’s vehicles having consumed intoxicating liquor or when drunk
- bring on to the company’s vehicles or have in their possession when on them any medicinal products other than for medicinal purposes within the meaning of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1977
- remain on a vehicle when directed to leave by the driver or other company official on the grounds that he or she is causing a nuisance.
- The company reserves the right to refuse entry to or to remove from the company’s vehicles any passenger who shall be or, in the opinion of the driver or other company official appears to be, in breach of any of the provisions of condition number 10 and any passenger so refused or removed shall not be entitled to any refund or compensation whatsoever from the company and the company shall have no liability to the passenger whatsoever.
- In the context of the foregoing conditions “company’s vehicle” means any coach, bus, car or other mechanically propelled vehicle owned, operated, or controlled by Bus Éireann/National Express/Eurolines, or any other person or organisation acting on behalf of any or all of the companies aforementioned.
- 11. Check-in Procedures
All passengers must check-in prior to departure:
- Photo ID: Passengers should note they will be asked to produce photo identification when checking-in at the Eurolines Desk, e.g. Valid Passport, Driver's licence with photo, International Student Identity Card, CIE Photo ID Card, National ID Card or Bus Pass with photo.
- Check-in at major departure terminals: Passengers are required to check-in no later than 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time at the appropriate point indicated at the departure location, unless otherwise indicated on travel ticket.
The check-in closes 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time for the service.
SERVICES FROM DUBLIN DEPART FROM BUSÁRAS (CENTRAL BUS STATION) AND ALL PASSENGERS MUST CHECK-IN AT THAT LOCATION. PASSENGERS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO BOARD ANY EUROLINES SERVICE AT A FERRY TERMINAL UNLESS THEIR COACH AND FERRY TICKETS WERE PURCHASED FROM THE TICKET OFFICE AT THAT PARTICULAR FERRY TERMINAL.
- Departure at intermediate stops: Passengers should arrive at the boarding point for a service at least 20 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time for that service, unless otherwise indicated on travel ticket.
- Effect of late arrival or check-in: The company may give a seat to another passenger if passenger arrives later than the scheduled check-in time, in which case passenger will be considered to have missed the service. The company shall not be liable to passenger if s/he misses any service as a result of his/her late arrival, and shall not be obliged to hold up any service to wait for him/her, or to provide a seat on any other service, if passenger misses a service.
- If a short halt is made on a service for meals or refreshments, passengers must return to the coach punctually within the time allowed for the halt. The company shall not be obliged to hold up the coach to wait for any passenger, and the company shall not be liable to any passenger who misses the coach because s/he returns later. The company will not reimburse any additional costs a passenger may incur as a result of him/her missing the coach.
- Passengers may not board or leave any service except at the starting or finishing point of the journey, save for any short meal or refreshment break permitted. In the context of the foregoing conditions “the company” refers to any or all of the following – Bus Éireann-Irish Bus, National Express Ltd., Eurolines (UK) Ltd., or any other person or organisation acting on behalf of any or all of the companies aforementioned.