Visit of Pope Francis to Ireland
How to get to the Phoenix Park - Bus Éireann Information
Pope Francis will travel to Ireland for the World Meeting of Families 2018, which is taking place in Dublin from 21-26 August 2018.
There will be three large events during the Pope’s visit:
- Saturday 25 August 2018: Festival of Families will take place in Croke Park
- Sunday 26 August 2018: Visit to Apparition Chapel, Knock Shrine, Knock, Co. Mayo
- Sunday 26 August 2018, Final Mass for World Meeting of Families 2018 takes place in the Phoenix Park.
An enhanced Sunday schedule will operate on all Bus Éireann commuter routes into and out of Dublin City on Sunday, 26 August 2018. All services will operate to and from Busáras or its immediate surrounding area (Beresford Place, Amiens Street, Georges Quay & Custom House Quay).
Normal Sunday schedule to operate on Expressway services Nationwide
To cater for anticipated demand, Expressway will operate special services on all key routes into Dublin, as follows
- Route 2 Dep Wexford at 0700, pick up in Wexford (0700), Enniscorthy (0720), Gorey (0745) & Arklow (0800).
- Route 4 Dep Waterford at 0700, pick up in New Ross (0630), Waterford (0700) & Carlow (0800).
- Route X8 Dep Cork at 0600, pick up in Cork (0600), Fermoy (0630), Mitchelstown (0650), Cahir (0715) & Cashel (0730).
- Route 12 Dep Limerick at 0630, pick up in Limerick (0630), Nenagh (0710), Roscrea (0740) & Portlaoise (0810).
- Route X20 Dep Galway at 0530, pick up in Galway (0530), Loughrea (0600), Ballinasloe (0630) & Athlone (0700)
- Route 22 Dep Ballina at 0630, pick up in Ballina (0630), Swinford (0730), Charlestown (0738) & Longford (0910)
- Route 23 Dep Sligo at 0630, pick up in Sligo (0630), Boyle (0650), Ck-on-Suir (0715) & Longford (0755)
- Route 30 Dep Donegal at 0530, pick up in Donegal (0530), Ballyshannon (0550), Enniskillen (0630), Cavan (0720) & Virginia (0805).
- Route 32 Dep Letterkenny at 0530, pick up in Letterkenny (0530), Strabane (0600), Omagh (0630), Monaghan (0715), Castleblayney (0750) & Carickmacross (0805).
- Route 100X Dep Dundalk at 0730, pick up in Dundalk (0730) & Drogheda (0800)
The above Expressway special services will all return from Busáras at 19.00 that evening.
These services will be available to buy online shortly
Diversions in Dublin City
There will be significant road closures around Dublin City Centre on Sunday, 26 August 2018 while access to the Phoenix Park will be restricted to those who have pre-registered in advance. Anyone wishing to access Dublin City on 26 August is advised to use public transport and An Garda Sióchána will advise of road closures.
Final details for each of these particular services are currently being finalised and will be displayed here in the near future.
Please visit http://gov.ie/popeinireland for all other information on the Pope’s visit to Ireland.