Bus Ã‰ireann publish report into allegations of misconduct
Bus Éireann has today published a report into allegations of misconduct by several employees, which concluded that there was no evidence to support these allegations. The report was requested jointly by the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport and the Department of Education and Skills, due to recent media articles that carried claims of alleged wrongdoing, in the awarding of school transport contracts.
Following an investigation into the allegations the company found there was no basis for these, and as a result no further action has been taken in relation to them. Bus Éireann have again re-iterated that anyone with evidence of any alleged malpractice with regard to school transport contracts, should bring this to the attention of An Garda Síochána.
It should be noted that the individuals raising the allegations of corruption claim to have evidence, which they have withheld since 2012. If such evidence exists it is incumbent upon these individuals to bring it to the attention of the proper authorities. Bus Éireann carried out a prompt and thorough investigation into the allegations which it received, and the company is satisfied with its conclusions.
Bus Éireann management appeared at the Joint Oireachtas Committee for Transport and Communications on 7 May 2014, in relation to the operation of the school transport procurement process.
The company was also prepared to deliver a full account, and answer any questions, relating to recent allegations of corruption. However, management was advised on arrival that the issue could not be discussed on foot of legal advice to the committee. The committee was not legally permitted to view or discuss the report during the session, and as a result they referred it to An Garda Síochána, as they felt the matter was outside their remit.
Bus Éireann welcomed this referral and remains willing to co-operate fully with any further investigation. In the interests of transparency, the company has also published the full report on its website.
- Covering letter 29th April_vf
- Appendix 1 - Affidavit received from DOES - September
- Appendix 2 - Prequalification questionnaire for the provision of school
- Appendix 3 - Conditions for Tendering for Contract for Schools Transport
- Appendix 4 - Contract for Schools Transport Services - Five Year
- Appendix 5 - Summary of Standard Controls - school transport contractors
- Appendix 6 - Code of Business Ethics
- Appendix 7 - CIE Good Faith reporting statement 2013
- Appendix 8 - Letter to Chairman of PAC Committee - Feb 2014
- Appendix 9 - Sunday Newspaper Article 1
- Appendix 9 - Sunday Newspaper Article 2
- Appendix 9 - Sunday Newspaper Article 3
- Appendix 9 - Sunday Newspaper Article 4
- Appendix 10 - Interview Transcript - with names of individuals replaced
- Appendix 11 - Redacted affidavit number 1
- Appendix 11 - Redacted affidavit number 2
- Appendix 11 - Redacted affidavit number 3
- Appendix 11 - Redacted receipts flights and hotel 4
Thursday, 15th May, 2014