Route 440: Westport – Castlebar – Ireland Airport West (Knock) – Athlone
As a result of the planned cancellation of Expressway Route 21 services which linked Westport to Athlone, the National Transport Authority (NTA) undertook a review of bus services in the affected areas.
To ensure that connectivity is maintained between both Athlone and Westport and the other communities along the corridor, an enhanced and extended Route 440: Westport – Castlebar – Ireland Airport West Knock – Athlone will be introduced from Sunday, 25 June 2017.
Route 440 will provide the following significantly improved levels of service:
- Weekday timetables providing 4 return services linking Westport and Athlone with a better spread and choice of services;
- Sunday & Public Holiday timetables including increased frequency with earlier and later departures;
- Improved connectivity with additional services to Ireland West Airport Knock (IWAK) from Westport and Athlone;
- Improved local connectivity throughout the day to meet the varied transport needs of customers along the route including:
- 6 return services linking Claremorris to Westport on Mondays to Saturdays with 4 on Sundays,
- 5 return services linking Roscommon to Athlone on Mondays to Fridays with 4 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday;
- Increased interchange opportunities at Athlone Bus/Rail Station to the wider public transport network;
- All Route 440 services to/from Athlone will now operate via Athlone Institute of Technology.
- Service frequency between Westport & Newport, Mulrany and Achill Sound will also be increased as part of this service improvement.
The revised timetable has been approved by the National Transport Authority and will be introduced on Sunday, 25 June 2017.
Monday, 12th June, 2017