Standard Fare Payments
Fare evasion is a criminal offence that could lead to a fine of up to €1,000 and a Court appearance. Random spot checks are carried out without warning on all Bus Éireann services to ensure that your ticket covers your entire journey and all the Zones you’re travelling within.
A standard fare (penalty fine) of €100 is charged by the company to each passenger found not to be in possession of a valid ticket, pursuant to the Bus Éireann Bye-Laws.
However, if you receive and pay a standard fare within 21 days of issue, a reduced charge of €50 will be accepted.
A ticket is invalid for the following reasons:
- You have not paid the correct Leap/Cash fare.
- Your prepaid ticket is not in-date.
- You do not have the required Photo Identity Card with a travel pass from the Department of Social Protection.
- You are using another person’s PSC Card or Personalised Leap Card
- You do not have an in-date Student Leap Card.
How to pay a Penalty Fine?
- Pay on the Spot to the Inspector
- Pay online using Debit or Credit card.
- In person, using cash or credit card at any Bus Éireann Travel Centre. You must bring your standard fare with you.
- By post, send a cheque into the Standard Fares Department, Bus Éireann, Broadstone, Dublin 7 with a copy of the standard fare.