About School Transport
The School Transport Scheme supports transport to and from school for children who reside remote from their nearest school. The scheme is operated by Bus Éireann on behalf of the Department of Education and Skills.
Applications for School Transport for the 2019/20 School Year will be open from Monday, 4 March.
|New Users register here:||Returning Users login here:|
The closing date for applications for school transport for the new school year 2019/20 is Friday, 26 April 2019.
- Making Payments
- Ticket Charges
- Downloadable Forms and Guidelines
- Data Protection
- Concessionary Transport
- Terms & Conditions
- School Open Nights
- Weather Warnings - Red Means Stop
Bus Éireann is committed to handling your personal data with the highest standards of information security. Click here for details.
- Please note that only new pupils need apply, for example pupils starting Primary school or moving to Post Primary School.
- Applications for pupils with special educational needs (SEN) arising from a diagnosed disability should be made through The National Council for Special Education
Details of all existing pupils who currently hold tickets are already recorded and the email address provided in the registration process previously is used to communicate with families in July when it is time to pay the school transport charges for the new school year.
|Guidelines for Applying to a New School||Guidelines for Amending the School Year|
Payments for the next school year 2019/20 can be made from July 2019. Details will be forwarded to families in advance.
- If it is not possible to make payment online, cheques/money orders should be made payable to Bus Éireann and posted to your local Bus Éireann School Transport Office. You must quote your Family ID Number when making payments by cheque/money order, otherwise payment cannot be processed. Your Family ID Number is shown on pupil’s current ticket.
Choose from the following two payment options:
Pay the full amount due (100%) on before 26 July 2019. An Annual Ticket for the full school year will be issued.
Pay half (50%) of the amount due to 26 July 209. A ticket that is valid for travel up to 20 December 2019. Pay the remaining balance by 22 November. Families will be advised of this at least 1 month in advance. Upon receipt of this payment, a ticket will be issued that is valid until the end of the school year.
|Option 1||Option 2|
|Due||26 July 2018||26 July 2018||22 November 2018|
|Maximum Payment for Primary
Eligible pupils holding valid medical cards (GMS Scheme) should submit medical card details at The School Transport Site before the last Friday in July in order to avail of the exemption from school transport charges.
Click here for the Guidelines for Discipline and Procedures for Dealing with Alleged Misbehaviour on School Transport
School Transport Appeals:
You may make an appeal by applying on-line at www.schooltransportappeals.ie
Details of the Appeals process may be found on the Department of Education and Skills website under School Transport at www.education.ie
We wish to advise you that decisions made by, or on behalf of, the Department of Education and Skills regarding the provision of school transport services and/or grant-aid under the terms of the School Transport Schemes may be appealed to the School Transport Appeals Board.
The School Transport Appeals Board is an independent body appointed by the Minister of State at the Department of Education and Skills. The School Transport Appeals Board examines and determines appeals against the school transport application process regarding the provision of school transport services and/or grant aid under the terms of the School Transport Schemes.
Cliceáil anseo chun Treoirlínte maidir le Smacht agus le Nósanna Imeachta is Féidir a chur i gcrích chun déileáil le drochiompar, a chuirtear i leith Daltaí, ar Iompar Scoile
Applying online for School Transport is the most efficient and timely method.
Cliceáil anseo chun Fhoirm iarratais Scéim Iompair Scoile 2016/17 a íoslódáil.
School Transport Travel Ticket Replacement Forms are available here.
Cliceáil anseo chun an fhoirm D’athsholáthar Ceadúnas Taistil a íoslódáil.
Bus Éireann adheres to the principles of the Data Protection Act, 1988 & 2003 when collecting, processing, storing and disclosing personal data.
Bus Éireann is the Data Controller with regard to personal data collected for school transport applications. Applicants may access their personal data following an access request under S.4 of the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003.
The personal data collected from you will be used by Bus Éireann to provide and manage school transport services in accordance with the terms of the school transport schemes. Bus Éireann may share your data with Third Parties solely for the purpose of providing and managing the school transport services. Personal data will be retained by Bus Éireann for the period during which school transport services are provided and for a further period of up to 6 years. More information on the CIE Group Data Protection policy is available online.
Children who are not eligible, under the terms of the schemes may apply to Bus Éireann on a concessionary basis.
The conditions are:
- that Bus Éireann determines that a suitable service exists to school or education centre
- that the service has spare capacity
- that routes are not extended or altered, additional vehicles are not introduced, larger vehicles or extra trips using existing vehicles are not provided. No additional State cost is incurred
- that the appropriate annual charge is paid, Medical Cards are not applicable
Availability may vary from year to year and is not available on public scheduled services. Concessionary transport cannot be guaranteed for the duration of the school cycle.
Bus Éireann determines the allocation of the tickets when the number of applications exceeds the number of seats available.
- All applications are processed and eligibility is determined in line with the rules of the Department of Education and Skills School Transport Schemes.
- All passenger tickets are issued subject to bye-laws, regulations and conditions contained in the publications and notices of or applicable to Bus Éireann.
- Purchase of a ticket is deemed to imply acceptance of these conditions.
- Payment does not guarantee a seat on a School Transport Service. Those not accommodated will have their payment refunded once seating has been fully allocated.
- No pupil will be allowed to travel without a current valid School Transport Travel Ticket.
- Any application for a refund where a ticket has been purchased and received but is then not required, must be submitted online and the School Transport Travel Ticket must be returned to your local Bus Éireann School Transport Office (with the exception of those who cannot be catered for due to lack of accommodation).
- In the event that the School Transport Travel Ticket is mislaid, there is a charge for a replacement ticket. This charge can be paid online and a replacement ticket will be issued upon receipt.
- School Transport Travel Tickets are not transferable.
- School Transport Travel Tickets must be carried at all times when travelling and must be produced for inspection by the driver or any authorised official of Bus Eireann. School Transport Travel Tickets must be surrendered to an authorised company official upon request, and in any event at the end of the School Term.
- School Transport Travel Tickets are only valid for travel between the locations indicated on the ticket.
- School Transport Travel Tickets may only be used for travel to and from school on school days during the School Term.
The Terms & Conditions which apply to the purchase of tickets issued under the School Transport Scheme may be amended at any time at the discretion of Bus Eireann and/or the Department of Education & Skills.
Bus Éireann is aware that many schools hold Open Nights for families. Families who may wish to avail of school transport should be reminded that they should check their eligibility, apply online and apply on time for school transport under the School Transport Scheme.
Schools may find it useful to download these posters that are designed with this purpose in mind.
In the interests of safety please remind your children to wear Safety Belts at all times when travelling by car or school bus.
School Bus Safety Video - Irish Version
School Bus Safety Video - English Version