Students save up to 20%
Every day thousands of students choose Bus Éireann for their college commute.
Bus Éireann offers concession tickets at student rates to:
- young adults aged 19-23 years inclusive who are in possession of a valid Young Adult Leap Card
- students aged 24 years and older who are in possession of a valid Student Leap Card issued from 9 May 2022
- students aged 16-18 who are in possession of a valid 2021/2022 Student Leap Card issued prior to 9 May 2022; or an International Student Identity Card (ISIC); or a current Translink yLink Card; or a student identification card issued by recognised third level institutions in the Republic of Ireland. See list here:
Student tickets are subject to the same validity conditions as standard tickets. Please note, if you are travelling on a student ticket, your student card must be produced for inspection when requested by a Bus Éireann official, and each time the ticket is tendered for travel.
How do I buy a ticket?
Tickets are available online, from your driver, in bus stations, or in participating SU shops and offices.
What tickets are available?
The following tickets are available for students:
- Student single tickets
- Student return tickets
- Student 10-journey tickets
Students can avail of both discount cash and Leap Card fares.
What Student ID does Bus Éireann accept?
Accepted forms of identification include International Student Identity Cards (ISIC), the Student Leap Card, the Translink Student Card (issued in Northern Ireland to full time third level students), and student identification cards issued by recognised third level institutions in the Republic of Ireland.The following organisation ID cards are also accepted by Bus Éireann for the purchase of student tickets:
- Macra na Feirme membership card
- Epilepsy Ireland membership card
- ICMSA membership card
Foreign Student Commuter Tickets
Special commuter tickets are issued in Cork and Galway to international students participating in specific language study exchange programmes. Tickets are available only through the school or college the student is enrolled in, and may be issued for various periods of validity.
Commuter Tickets issued in Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford are valid only in the city in which they are issued.
Commuter Tickets must be presented with a valid CIÉ Photo ID Card of the holder with the corresponding validation number entered on the ticket. Tickets remain the property of Bus Éireann and must be produced for inspection at any time during a journey, or surrendered if demanded by any authorised official.Photo ID Cards for commuter tickets are issued at Bus Éireann Travel Centres at Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford.